[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Simple bearoff problem

Posted By: Ian Shaw
Date: Monday, 23 July 2007, at 12:39 p.m.

In Response To: Simple bearoff problem (Mislav Radica)

I think gammon chances are more than 10.1% but have no way to count that.

If Blue take 2 off and White rolls and runs 8 pips, Blue will be on roll with 10 chequers to go, with White needing 24 pips to save the gammon. Whites wastage looks like about 5 pips for an epc of 29. Blue is at best 5 rolls, so his epc is 36 plus about 1, so 37. Blue is 8 effective pips down in the gammon race, about 1 roll. Therefore he probably needs working doubles to win the gammon. Right now only double 6, 5 and 3 work but that will improve. From my rusty memory, winning from a roll down is in the 9 - 12% range, and with some doubles not working it must be at the lower end of the range.

Your calculation of 5.09% hits are certainly not all wins for White. If White closes out one Blue chequer, Blue will have 5 men off, so can expect to win 22% of games. Therefore White will only win at best 3/4 of his hits, so about 4%. I can't face working out the gammon value at this score, but it looks well worthwhile taking two off.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.