[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

poker machine -- step in right direction

Posted By: Stanley E. Richards
Date: Tuesday, 24 July 2007, at 9:57 p.m.

In Response To: poker human vs. machine -- halfway through (Chuck Bower)

When I first started studying poker two months ago, I was surprised at the poorly developed state of poker bots. I sampled Turbo Texas and Poker Academy and chose Poker Academy. Neither of these bots are as sophisticated as GNU or Snowie. Their analysis and evaluation are quite poor. One great advantage of Backgammon is that Snowie or GNU will yell at you if you err. Poker Academy greatest service was to allow me to practice playing poker at an acceptable online speed. However, practice without feedback is not very instructive.

PokerTracker is not really a Bot, however it is very informative software. Yet, backgammon bots have PokerTracker statistical gathering ability and Poker Academy practice all in one package. Additionally, bg bots offer excellent analysis and evaluation which simply does not exist in poker bots. This may be the reason why Stick warned me two months ago that "...Poker bots are generally shit..." (Yes, I file and record very useful posts. So, I know exactly what he said.)

"Winning in Tough Hold 'em Games" by Grudzien and Herzog is the only example that I know of where mass quantities of statistical data is used to determine poker play (especially preflop poker play). Yet, this data was used from only three moderate samples of three different players. This is miniscule compared to "rollout" type of data that is available from backgammon bots. Nevertheless, thank goodness for Grudzien's and Herzog's effort to quantify and evaluate from moderate data samples. After reading this book twice and writing notes and charts from it, I stopped losing and started winning at a very marginal rate.

I am pleased to hear about this poker bot. It seems to be still underdeveloped. There is no indication that it can play at full ring or short handed. It seems to only be playing straight up. Nevertheless, Poker is in desparate need of neural net type of development to produce bots that can teach as well as GNU and Snowie.

Stanley

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.