[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

When is the 6/5 split correct?

Posted By: Havard Raddum
Date: Friday, 27 July 2007, at 12:14 a.m.

In Response To: When is the 6/5 split correct? (tem_sat)

"Can you please tell me what is required in terms of position, comparative board strength, comparative pip count, score, gammon risk, etc. that allow will me (and others) to clearly see when the correct play should be made?"

I think the correct play should be made every time! But seriously, I don't know of any formula that allows one to clearly see when it is correct to run to your midpoint with 65. In the position above I think it could be right to play 24/18 13/8 for the following reasons:

White has made your barpoint, and only has to worry about his offense for a long time. White has builders with good distribution in place and will probably make an important point next roll. I think it is therefore very important for blue to get an anchor. The guy left alone on white's acepoint after running will eventually be facing a wave of white checkers, and blue will be hard pressed to try to escape him on every roll. If successful in escaping, the race will probably not be much better than even, so it would not be a major improvement. Stopping on white's bar point means: a) except for some doubles, white can not both hit and make inner board point, b) if white hits, there will most of the time be return hits or possibilities to make advanced anchor. I think a key point for blue in this position is that white must not be allowed such a strong forward position that he can bring the last two checkers home at leisure.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.