[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

My turn

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Wednesday, 8 August 2007, at 5:00 p.m.

In Response To: Even more big brother? (very OT) (Achim)

Gee, I go away for a couple days and look what I almost missed!

1) I see the usual defensive attitude among many responses: how dare a foreingner criticize OUR country. Well, I feel just the opposite. Note only do I think Achim, Max, et al. do us US-citizens a favor, but I'm much more disappointed that more of us aren't asking these questions ourselves.

2) You don't like Al Gore? He's the wrong party? Or you actually have a legitimate reason for not liking him? Fine. Forget Al Gore. I wonder if he's had an original ideal in his life. He (as many) serves as a megaphone on issues. These issues exist independent of him. Focus on the issues.

3) We have a constitution (and even Stick found it: ). I learned that this document is the basis for our country's existence. I learned that the Amendments (and particularly the first 10 or so -- the Bill of Rights) were not only an integral part of our foundation but in fact as important or maybe even more important than the more formal part. Why? Because the Constitution and the Bill of Rights were written by people who had experience the other side -- being servants of a monarchy, with virtually no say in their fate. They came across the Atlantic to find a better life. THEY are the ones who first fought and died for the freedoms we have. THEY had more insight, based upon their experiences, than most of us could ever hope to have.

4) We currently have an executive branch of government that doesn't respect the constitution. I'm not sure what they respect (probably just the greed of raw power) but whatever it is, it's not what founded this country. If George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, etc. were here today they would be revolting against this administration as strongly as they revolted against the English monarchy of the late 1700's. I don't know about you, and I know those guys weren't perfect, either. But choosing between Chaney's henchmen and the likes of the original George W., Thomas, and Ben is (as the trite commercial says) "the biggest no brainer in the history of Earth."

5) I don't know where this attitude "it's OK if we treat foreigners in an unfair manner as long as we don't treat our own citizens that way" came from, but I'm sick of it. And how about "we insist our prisoners be treated by the Geneva convention but we don't have to respect those principles when it comes to our country treating the prisoners of other nations"? Who the fuck do we think we are? If the online dictionary wants a good example under their definition of "hypocrite", this would be a perfect one.

6) The idea "it's OK to forfeit your privacy if you're not doing anything illegal" is so old, illogical, and just plain naive that I'm surprised anyone intelligent enough to play backgammon espouses that. Try telling the founding fathers that one and then get out your best earplugs to save your hearing.

7) I suggest EVERY US CITIZEN go to the following website, and first read who the founding members are (along the top edge of the page click "Statement of Principles" tab Names are at the bottom). You might recognize a few (and be surprised to find one in particular missing). Read what they say. Ask yourself if this is the way you want history to remember YOU. This isn't a hoax.

click here.

Do you really believe these people are doing things in the best interest of the US, let alone the rest of the world? Do you want to forfeit your freedom of privacy to them, trusting that they will only use it to fight terrorists? Not I. I don't want to be on those people's side. Not for one second. I only wish my command of vocabulary allowed me to use the adjectives that express how and feel about these people. In fact simply calling them "people" insults all the rest of us.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.