[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

My turn

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Thursday, 9 August 2007, at 2:37 p.m.

In Response To: My turn (Matt Reklaitis)

Chicago? Gee, there's a police force that's gotten some publicity over the years.

This is a tough one. You have to weigh the consequences. This is a good example of picking your fights. Is it time to stand up and fight or do I give in THIS TIME and save my fight for a bigger issue?

Your example is, IMO, a good one illustrating the weakness of voluntarily giving up your rights when you're not doing anything wrong. It seems to me that the reason there is a law that allows a policeman to stop you for speeding is because... it is dangerous to speed. The law wasn't written (or at least shouldn't have been written) as a catchall for searching suspicious vehicles, yet that appears to be exactly how it is being used. What would a Texan being doing in Chicago besides trying to distribute illegal drugs he got across the Mexican border?

We may have talked about this in Stick's earlier thread but I believe in some states police may not stop you specifically because they perceive you aren't wearing a seatbelt. They may cite you for not wearing a seatbelt only after stopping you for some more verifiable violation (e.g. speeding!). I interpret this as an attempt by the state legislature to in fact prevent the very thing you experienced: stopping any car they want and saying "it looked like they didn't have their seatbelt on, then after I pulled them over to get a closer look I noticed the smell of marijuana...."

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.