[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

OT - I'm a quotaholic so this is only part of my fave list

Posted By: Caryl Stephanson
Date: Friday, 10 August 2007, at 3:21 p.m.

In Response To: OT - Quotable Quotes cause it's 6:30am (Stick)

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.-Dr. Suess

Imagination is intelligence with an erection.-Victor Hugo

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.-Albert Camus

Another belief of mine is that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.-Margaret Atwood

Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.-Joseph Joubert, essayist (1754-1824)

If you think you're enlightened, go home to your family for the holidays!-Ram Dass

I endeavor to be wise when I cannot be merry, easy when I cannot be glad, content with what cannot be mended and patient when there is no redress.-Elizabeth Montagu

We see things, not as they are, but as we are.-The Qua'ran

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.- Albert Einstein

A person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused.-Shirley Maclaine

I wonder why it is we are not all kinder to each other...How much the world needs it! How easily it is done!-Henry Drummond

Resentment is the poison you drink, while hoping the other person dies.-Carrie Fisher

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.-Friedrich Nietzsche

The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware,joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.- Henry Miller

Your work is only as good as your concentra -- Hey look! A cloud shaped like Snoopy!-anonymous

In war, there are no unwounded soldiers.-Jose Narosky, writer

It is inaccurate to say I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. -H.L. Mencken, writer, editor, and critic (1880-1956)

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. -Noam Chomsky, linguistics professor and political activist (1928- )

Heresy is only another word for freedom of thought. -Graham Greene, novelist and journalist (1904-1991)

"Do you ever read any of the books you burn?" "That's against the law!" "Oh. Of course." -Ray Bradbury, science-fiction writer (1920- ) [Fahrenheit 451]

Whoever imagines himself a favorite with God holds others in contempt.-Robert Green Ingersoll, lawyer and orator (1833-1899)

When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.-Abraham Lincoln

Scriptures, n. The sacred books of our holy religion, as distinguished from the false and profane writings on which all other faiths are based.-Ambrose Bierce, writer (1842-1914)

Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough.-Franklin D. Roosevelt, 32nd US President (1882-1945)

I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again.-Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object be what it may, -- light, shade, and perspective will always make it beautiful. -John Constable, painter (1776-1837)

These are not books, lumps of lifeless paper, but minds alive on the shelves.-Gilbert Highet, writer (1906-1978)

The courage of the poet is to keep ajar the door that leads into madness.-Christopher Morley, writer (1890-1957)

And those pieces of luck which only happened to good players happened to him.~Emerson about Thoreau

Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake.- Chessmaster Savielly Grigorievitch Tartakower

Because we don't understand the brain very well we're constantly tempted to use the latest technology as a model for trying to understand it. In my childhood we were always assured that the brain was a telephone switchboard. (What else could it be?) And I was amused to see that Sherrington, the great British neuroscientist, thought that the brain worked like a telegraph system. Freud often compared the brain to hydraulic and electromagnetic systems. Leibniz compared it to a mill, and now, obviously, the metaphor is the digital computer.-John R. Searle, philosophy professor (1932- )

Being on the tightrope is living; everything else is waiting.-Karl Wallenda

I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.-Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., writer (1922- )

Sex should be wild. Unfettered and free. We're animals, aren't we? And, basically, we're all wolves in sheep's fur. I always wanted more. Not frequency, I am not talking about frequency; although that would have been great, too. I wanted more intensity. I wanted to be out there, outside myself, outside my skin. I wanted sex to be like robbing life out of the jaws of death!-Robin Green

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.-anonymous

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.