[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

OT - Tough decision

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Friday, 10 August 2007, at 10:16 p.m.

In Response To: OT - Tough decision (DC-Ohio)

I assume they're paying your moving expenses. That could be a few to several times $10k for professionals depending upon how much stuff you've accumulated. (For Stick it might be a few dollars, assuming he wouldn't move anything totally worthless.)

I can see why they would put a deadline on your acceptance but they'd better be making you an offer soon. The cutoff time should be date of offer plus at least a couple weeks (minimum).

It's hard to put a number on how much more they should pay you. DEFINITELY fold in cost of living increases (but maybe Columbus = Dayton?). If the commute is longer, don't forget gas prices (which are bobbling around $3.00 and the mean won't be going down, ever) and vehicle wear-and-tear.

Another thing to consider is property taxes. In Indiana those vary monstrously, even within a small area. Of course they tell you on the real estate listing sheet what they are currently but it might help to find out when they were last assessed. Here in Indiana they might reasses every 5-10 years and if they haven't done it for a while the rate on the listing sheet won't be representative of what you will be paying in the (not so distant) future.

Another issue: your current mortgage rate compared to what rate you expect to get.

I think Mary mentioned difficulty in selling your house. Hard to put a $-value on that but depending upon what pricerange your current house is in, that could be tricky. (My brother moved from Decatur, IL to Columbus, OH after having just built a new upscale house a few years back. Took him over two years to get the house sold.) If your house value is below or near the mean of all houses in the Dayton area you should be OK. If it's a factor of 1.5 or more of the mean you might want to talk to an honest local realtor.

Finally there are the intangibles of how well you and your wife like your current job compared to what you expect the new one to be like. And if your kids are well established in the neighborhood or schools, moving can be traumatic for them. Hard to put a $-value on that. 'Course a move could even be good for them (emotionally, etc.).

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.