[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Link to Robertie table on r.g.bg

Posted By: Bryce
Date: Tuesday, 14 August 2007, at 8:13 p.m.

In Response To: Link to Robertie table on r.g.bg (Matt Cohn-Geier)

I believe I know all the rules to Go, but I have never really played it...I tried a few games with some beginner's software once.

I get the sense that there is a large amount of necessary pattern recognition/memorization in Go...quite a bit more than in BG. If there's a particular shape on the board, then you may need to move in a particular spot, or your stones die (maybe I am assuming something about the opponent here). Sure, BG has reference positions that are useful to commit to memory, but I feel like they are more stable in a sense. If I know a certain backgame position is a double/take, and I move one of my spares to an adjacent point, it's (often, but obviously not always) still D/T. I get the impression that in Go, if I move one stone, then it's a completely different shape and I have to make a rather different play...in other words one would need many many more reference positions. That doesn't sound like very much fun to me (although somehow learning high-probability scrabble words does).

I'd certainly like to hear from a good Go player whether they play by feel or rote (or they have played by rote long enough that it seems like feel). I may just have the wrong idea altogether.

Oh, and roulette is easy: you bet on things that have probability n/37 or n/38 of happening, and you get paid as if the probability was n/36 (so, (36/n - 1):1). I think it's awesome that there are many books on Amazon explaining how to win at Roulette--even "How to Win at Online Roulette."

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.