[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Let Me Clarify

Posted By: Stick
Date: Tuesday, 14 August 2007, at 8:41 p.m.

In Response To: Luck in poker and BG (Chuck Bower)

I didn't have time to fully tackle this the other day when I posted but wanted to bark before someone else.

Chuck's post must first be translated. He says the whining of the "pros". Does he mean true professionals or the weekend sluffer who still has a real job and tries to play a lot of poker on the side. True professionals you will rarely see this from. They encounter it daily time after time after time. They understand that if they get their money in when they're 2-1 in the long run, which is their goal, they'll come out on top. The only exceptions you have are Hellmuth & Matusow. (these are the only two big names that come to mind immediately)

Hellmuth, well, he lays it on thick and it may be more part of his game than him actually whining. It's a tough call and sheer entertainment for me. It makes for good tv (which is why you always see him and it as Darin mentioned).

When you say "I was leading 5-1 to 7" in a backgammon match I hate to break it to you but you were playing for chump change. What you're watching on tv usually, most of the time is ITM and more often than not it's thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. One suckout like that can make a COLOSSAL difference. Backgammon is the constant exchange of good luck & bad luck, poker there are more critical moments when you get your money in good, outplay the guy, and are sent shuffling off. (tournaments, what you see on tv)

Not comparing apples & oranges, but I don't think it's apples & apples either.

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.