[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Freaky games: any good stories?

Posted By: Rich Munitz
Date: Thursday, 23 June 2011, at 3:21 a.m.

In Response To: Freaky games: any good stories? (Timothy Chow)

1. In terms of freakiness, it is hard to top my embarrassing defeat one game against the iPhone App Backgammon NJ. It is hard to convince some people that bots don't cheat, but this app has some methods. I wanted to test the validity of one of them where at any time it lets you view the next 100 dice rolls so that you can verify that it is not just picking good dice when it needs it. So I played an entire game always looking at the upcoming rolls and making my play to take full advantage of that knowledge, and sure enough - those were exactly the rolls that appeared as advertised. Sadly, even though I always knew exactly what rolls were coming next for both me and my opponent for the entire game, I somehow lost anyway.

2. About 30 years ago, I played two games in the same year in which a player got gammoned without either player's checker ever being sent to the bar (and without the the player losing a gammon on account of stupidity). I have never witnessed that happen in any game since then.

3. The nice position below occurred during the recent USBGF Tournament of the Stars doubles event in LA. I'm not certain where blue's spares were, but it is close enough. Note score and cube position.

Needless to say, Ed and I won from here. I don't just mean that we pulled off a freak win in this position. I mean that we won the game and subsequently the match from here. I am fairly certain this was the bad beat of the weekend. I am proud that I had the 20-ply vision to insist on making the 4 blot play after we turned the cube. The 2-blot play would not have worked out quite as well as it turns out.

White is Bill Riles / Justin Nunez

score: 4
pip: 44
7 point match
pip: 151
score: 0

Blue is Rich Munitz / Ed Bennett
XGID=-ABB--D-B-----------bddbbD:1:-1:1:62:0:4:0:7:10
Blue to play 62

1.Rollout1Bar/19eq: -1.672
Player:
Opponent:
0.84% (G:0.00% B:0.00%)
99.16% (G:96.13% B:9.02%)
Conf.: ± 0.001 (-1.673...-1.671) - [%1%]
Duration: 1 minute 36 seconds
1 7776 Games rolled with Variance Reduction.
Moves: 3-ply, cube decisions: XG Roller

eXtreme Gammon Version: 2.00.168.beta, MET: Rockwell-Kazaross

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.