[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

compenstation for antibyes in a single elimination tournament

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Monday, 4 July 2011, at 7:01 a.m.

In Response To: compenstation for antibyes in a single elimination tournament (Bob Koca)

Ever since I read Danny Kleinman's rant about byes in one of his early works (Vision?), I have strongly opposed the current system. It is pathetic to hear tournament directors vaguely assert that "in the long run" it will all balance out. Wasn't it Keynes who quipped, "In the long run, we'll all be dead!" Nobody who plays backgammon seriously is naive enough to expect that if you flip a coin a hundred times, the long run will arrive. More often than not, you'll get a 55/45 ratio between heads and tails with only 100 tosses. So, Mr. Tournament Director, how many hundred tournaments must I enter before the long run will finally smooth things out? Phew! I will be dead.

And don't forget, as Kleinman pointed out long ago, receiving a bye doubles your equity in an elimination event!

Danny recommended pricing the byes fairly. I tend to support that. I also like your idea. Given the choice between the current system, and your's, I'd take your's without a moment's hesitation. One problem with the scheme you have outlined is that it removes the opportunity for buy-backs in the Main Flight for first-round losers, something players and directors both like.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.