[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Chow's Checkerplay Challenge #2, part b

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Thursday, 1 September 2011, at 6:58 p.m.

In Response To: Chow's Checkerplay Challenge #2, part b (Timothy Chow)

Thanks for posting these interesting positions.

Mike

Problem 6

Making the five point is obvious. After that I would switch from the four point to the three. I want to keep the strongest blocking point outside. Switching to bar point lets White escape too easily. As well, the bar point and the one point cannot be part of the same prime.

I would not launch an attack in this position. It would leave the six point overstacked and the eight point stripped. Besides, Blue leads in the race, so a more conservative play is called for.

My play: 6/5(2), 4/3(2)

Problem 7

When White enters, he may be forced expose another blot, so I'm not in a hurry to run off the anchor. I am, however, in a rush to close the board. Playing 13/9 gives another builder for the four point, and 18/16 duplicates fours, while bringing another builder that much closer.

Gammons are active, and Blue should try to win some.

My play: 13/9, 18/16

Problem 8

The race will be a virtual tie if Blue decides not to hit. Blue will lead in the pip count, 80 to 83. White's checkers on his lower points also means that White's EPC "penalty" will be higher than Blue's in a straight race.

On the other hand, if Blue hits, 10/4*, 6/1, and White misses the return shot, Blue's game is very strong. At this score, however, the gammon victories are worthless to Blue, even if he were otherwise inclined to hit. Were White to hit, his gammon victories secure the match.

Since I'm going to race, I don't want a second gap on the bar point.

My play: 8/3, 8/2

Problem 9

Even after playing this 5-5, Blue is behind in the race. Should he keep the nine point? If he does, then his best play is 16/6, 12/7, 10/5. But then White's fives would be devastating. Any five except 5-1 would convert the game into a non-contact race. White's likely cube on the following turn would often be a pass.

Better is to switch points, and preserve an outside sentry in case White escapes.

My play: 9/4(2), 12/6, 10/5

Problem 10

I see two possible moves:

Hit and slot: 10/9*, 10/5
Hit and split: 10/9*, 23/18

The drawback to splitting is that is does not buy a direct shot at White's second blot. It risks 11, 13, 15, 53 and 54 for only a marginal gain, while increasing the chance Blue could lose a gammon.

Slotting risk 13 shots, but gives a plan for victory. Blue will be turning the cube in many variations where he is missed.

My play: 10/9*, 10/5

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.