[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Rollouts and analysis: Chow's Checkerplay Challenge #2, part b

Posted By: Stick
Date: Monday, 5 September 2011, at 6:36 a.m.

In Response To: Rollouts and analysis: Chow's Checkerplay Challenge #2, part b (Timothy Chow)

Problem 6

if we make the solid four-prime, then White hops out giving us a single direct shot from the midpoint with 65 63 62 61 51 and escapes entirely with 66 64

He does not escape entirely with 66. We will still get a shot though not from the midpoint. The shifting play of 4/3(2) also makes our opponent's 61 as a blotting number which is noteworthy. Lastly, when our opponent doesn't escape we will have more numbers that hit loose than if we had the solid prime.

Problem 8 + Variant

Other than the obvious of the variant keeping the broken six prime and not coughing up another blot, I think it's worth mentioning for when you compare plays like this you pay special attention to the pip count. The pip count is the same in both problems but since one roll is worth 11 pips and the other worth 7 pips that can have quite an effect on such positions.

Problem 10

When you post different rollouts esp. when they come from other people rolling them out I personally prefer that you repost the diagram, esp. in a situation like this where the results are wildly different. Way way way too many times I've come across emails from people where they didn't understand the results and all it was is they set up the position wrong whether it be forgetting to put a checker on the board, forgetting to reset the cube position, or mucking up the score. If the entire thing is posted I can be sure that the correct position was rolled out.

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.