[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What is "Stick's rule"?

Posted By: Stick
Date: Tuesday, 27 September 2016, at 6:57 p.m.

In Response To: What is "Stick's rule"? (Timothy Chow)

I'll admit I know what most of my own rules are but I haven't always found the perfect fine tuning of words. The rule here is:

At 3a 7a or greater (and very often 3a 6a) do not double as the 3a player when there is significant contact (could be phrased as 'gammons') for either side

Feel free to try to improve on the wording.

In the rule itself I would not go into why the rule was true. The further you get from 3a the more true the rule rings. I omit 3a 6a because it doesn't hold water just a shade more than I would hope for a generalized rule. At 3a 7a though it will bring everyone's PR down by following said rule. The further you go out (3a 8a, 3a 9a, 3a 10a, etc...) the more firm the rule stands.

If anyone wants the reasoning explained I'd be happy to do that. Also, one thing to remember is this is a rule about what is correct per the bot. This is far removed from the ideal strategy over the board against a human. Sure, if I'm playing John O'Hagan Or Neil Kazaross I'm going to adhere to it but if I'm playing random Open player X it is highly likely I will double some positions where I 'know' it is a no double, and perhaps even a large no double, banking on my opponent not knowing it's an easy take, banking on them not understanding the score and simply seeing the position as a 'hopeless money position'.

If this position happens to be an exception to the rule it will be interesting to see when we extend out to 3a 8a, 3a 9a.

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.