[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

How to improve

Posted By: Kevin Whyte
Date: Saturday, 16 July 2011, at 4:28 a.m.

I've only recently been making a serious attempt to learn the game and was hoping I could get some advice, from the very general to quite specific:

1) gnubg evaluation: I've been playing a lot and running the matches through gnubg - is there some way to have it look at a large number of matches and give an overall error rate, ideally cube and checker separately? Otherwise the random variation from match to match makes it hard to see any larger picture ( and I wish the awful! didn't come with the !).

2) I think my errors, weighted by equity lost, are much higher in cube decisions than from checker play. I'm having trouble figuring out how to study cube decisions. I don't have any trouble with the theory, or match equity stuff (professional training, I guess), but estimating the equity in specific positions is giving me real trouble. I know many people use reference positions, but for that it seems you need to know which position to compare to and how to weight the differences. So far that means I can't seem to effectively address cube handling (except in some specific cases, like non-contact positions) without fixing checker play issues. Is there anything people would recommend or books that are particularly good for basic equity estimates.

3) I think I'm particularly bad at estimating gammon chances and these seem to be important more often than I would have expected. Beyond the basic early game blitz and late game close-out positions, what should I be looking at for this?

I thank everyone in advance for any help they can offer, and I promise to post something with more bg substance soon.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.