[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Monte Carlo SemiFinals PRs

Posted By: Paul Weaver
Date: Friday, 22 July 2011, at 1:22 p.m.

Howard and his competent friendly low-key staff did a marvelous job of running the tournament.

As analyzed by XG2, Mochy played 2.16 and Suzuki played 3.49. Mochy is to be congratulated for playing a 23pt match with this super-low PR. Many idiots can play with a low PR online, where you can choose to play only when you are well rested. However, playing well after three days of long grueling matches under the pressure of a Monte Carlo semifinal is much more difficult. Also, congrats to Suzuki who played at what I consider to be a world-class level. How well does Suzuki play on average? According to Mochy, Suzuki is 3.9.

There are other players in Japan who play better than 4.0. Everyone knows about Mochy and Michy, who both play better than 3.0 on average. Othello, currently 64 on the Giants' list (an incredible accomplishment for one who has played BG outside Japan on only one occasion) may also play below 3.0, or at least very close to it. Asking Mochy to please fill in the details on all Japanese players who average better than 4.0.

In the other semifinal match, I played 3.85 and Fabio (an attorney from Rome, one of the most congenial opponents I have ever played) was 8.70. I plan to e-mail this match to Stick (he may already have it) and ask him to post it here. Instead of focusing on the last part of the DMP game, I am studying the earlier part of the match, where I made numerous mistakes, blunders and whoppers. I am hoping to write one or more articles about the 2011 Monte Carlo tournament, to be published perhaps in USBGF magazine and/or GammonVillage and/or one of the US newsletters and/or Stick's site.

Thanks to all my friends on bgonline who sent me e-mails and made posts here encouraging me. Your support meant a lot to me. I left home in April with two working laptops; now I have none. This is the reason I have not been making posts here on bgonline. Losing usage of my computers turned out to be a blessing in disguise, because it permitted me to focus solely on my matches. I studied some very valuable printed material I had with me that I would not have looked at if my computer had been working.

MCG said his tournament record (not including Last Chance) was 3-3. He said the three people who beat him all played with a PR of greater than 10. Matt did not say whether or not all three outplayed him. I forgot to ask.

Believe it or not, I managed to piss off tournament director Howard Markowitz. (Have I ever pissed off any other TDs?) On Friday, a day before the tournament was to begin, I told Howard he was doing a fantastic job of running the tournament. On Saturday, before any matches had been played, I told him he was doing a great job. I told him every damn day what a great job he was doing. After a few days of hearing this, when I told Howard that I had something to tell him, he interrupted me, yelling at me to shut the F up because he did not want to hear it any more.

A brand new scandal in the backgammon world is erupting. I have been accused of extorting bribes from tournament directors in exchange for posting favorable tournament reviews on this Web site.

When I am accused of anything, I always immediately plead guilty, "irregardlessly" of whether I actually did it. This makes it die down more quickly. I therefore admit that Chiva, Rob Maier, Lynn and Howard have each paid me a modest "fee" ("bribe" is such an ugly word) in exchange for my writing positive reviews of their tournaments. I do not see anything wrong with this. I need to make a living and the positive publicity helps their tournaments to grow.

What happens to a tournament director who refuses to pay up? Ask Bill Davis.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.