[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Ruling...

Posted By: Justin N.
Date: Monday, 1 August 2011, at 7:27 a.m.

In a recent local tournament, I was called over to give an unbaised ruling since the TD was one of the players involved in the dispute (I had already been knocked out of the tournement, and had no financial interest in either player).

Here's the scenario. Player A (the TD) told Player B, before the match started, that it would be shortened from the normal 7 points to 5 points (but no clock), since that match was holding up the draw sheet. The match progresses, and gets to a score of 3 to 2, with Player B trailing. At some point, Player B doubles, and Player A takes. Player A wins the game, and reaches to shake hands. Player B objects, exclaiming that the match is not over because it is 7-points. Player A (the TD) asks if Player B heard him say "5-point match" in the beginning... Player B said no.

So, I asked some questions, confirmed some facts, and made some observations (below):

>>> Did Player B give a nod, or any verbal confirmation, when the TD announced the change? Both players said no.

>>> Did any bystander hear the TD announce the change? No one claimed to have overheard.

>>> Are the cutoff times for each round (used to determine if a match gets reduced or if a clock gets inserted) common knowledge? I assumed no here, since it is written very tiny on the TD's 8.5x11 drawsheet, and the TD does not publish these times for all players, or expect anyone to have them memorized. Players, however, are usually welcomed to ask the Director about these times, or request to view them on the drawsheet, at any point. These cutoff times have been constant for years, but are rarely ever implemented.

>>> What was written on the individual scoresheets? Player B was not using one, and was relying on Player A to announce the score at the end of each game. Player A had both names written down, along with the match length (5 points), but in very tiny print.

Additionally, I have known both players for years, and know both to have extremely high characters. Neither would even think of "taking a shot", or doing anything underhanded to gain an edge, especially against each other.

Finally, US Backgammon Tournament Rules & Procedures are in effect: http://www.chicagopoint.com/usrules.html. Who is culpable, and to what degree? What's your ruling, and why?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.