[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Doubling cube design

Posted By: Ace in Space
Date: Wednesday, 17 August 2011, at 12:02 p.m.

Hi all. Since this is my first post I would like to introduce myself. I am not new to backgammon. I have been playing since college and play on FIBS (I have a rating about 1850). It own about 10 books. It is my second favorite game after poker and before bridge. I would like to play more live but the group where I live (Sacramento, CA) has been defunct for almost 10 years.

For the last 15 years I had this idea about designing a doubling cube with symbols instead of numbers 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, and 64). I am not an artist or a businessman so actually creating and selling such a cube may never happen but I think it is worthwhile to see what symbols everyone suggests. I want the symbols to represent cultures from different parts of the world (Western, Asian, African, Middle East, etc.) and universal ones. I know some numbers are significant in some cultures. Of course there are many choice for the lower numbers and it is difficult to find good one for higher ones.

Here are some ideas I have so far for each of the number:

2: the sun and the moon, male and female

4: the suits of playing card, the directions on a compass

8: the Ba Gua

16: candles

32: I haven’t come up with anything on this one

64: In case the Ba Gua isn't used I think the 64 hexagram from I Ching is my ideal design. However, it is almost impossible to put that on a side of a die. The alternative would be just the yin and yang symbol (although it represent 2 but it is actually 1)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.