[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

'variance reduction' versus 'MWC error totals'

Posted By: Johan Segers
Date: Friday, 9 September 2011, at 7:21 a.m.

In another thread on this forum, the distinction between 'variance reduction' (also called 'luck adjusted result') and 'difference in MWC error total' has been discussed (MWC = match winning chances). However, I wonder whether these shouldn't yield the same thing?

Intuitively, a player's gain or loss in MWC is entirely explained from a combination of luck and errors.

Formally, consider the following quantities:

• gain_A = +50% if A wins the match, -50% if A loses the match
  • gain_B = +50% if B wins the match, -50% if B loses the match
  • luck_A = the total amount of luck (= MWC after the roll - MWC before the roll) throughout A's rolls (positive or negative)
  • luck_B = the total amount of luck throughout B's rolls (positive or negative)
  • error_A = the total amount of MWC wasted by A through errors (zero or positive)
  • error_B = the total amount of MWC wasted by B through errors (zero or positive)

In the style of an old-style physicist, allow me to postulate the law of conservation of MWC:

gain_A = luck_A - luck_B - error_A + error_B

As a consequence:

gain_A - luck_A + luck_B = error_B - error_A

The left-hand side, gain_A - luck_A + luck_B, is, to my understanding, known as the 'luck adjusted result'. The right-hand side, error_B - error_A, is just the difference in MWC error totals.

Despite its intuitive appeal, the law fails a numerical test: in GNU Backgammon, the above equalities do not hold, not even for 1-point matches. The difference in error totals (MWC) is in general quite different from the luck adjusted result.

Questions:

1. Is the law correct?
  2. If yes, then where do the deviations from the law in GNU come from? And which number is the most reliable?
  3. Does other software, e.g. XG, give similar deviations?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.