[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

races and doubles at matchplay

Posted By: PINO
Date: Sunday, 9 October 2011, at 8:26 p.m.

I looked at a position with a fairly long race which, at money, was just a pass. I then changed the situation where the player who had to decide whether to take the cube at 2 or pass was 11 away while his opponent's score moved from -11 to -2. The following pattern emerged: -11: D/P

-10: D/P

-9: D/P

-8: D/P

-7: D/T

-6: D/P

-5: D/T

-4: D/P

-3: D/T

or: whenever the opponent has an even (odd) number of points to go, your take point is higher (lower).

Moreover, when the doubler had an odd number to go, the equity appoxilation of the position seemed to change more rapidly between the "odd steps" than between the "even steps".

I guess that makes intuitive sense as it is attractive to arrive at say, 4-away, which allows for an efficient win. (this shows for example from the following: it's normally better to be -4 than to have 50% of -3 and 50% of -5 at any given level of the opponent's score)

Does anyone here make sense of this? What has been written about this? Can anyone handle the difference between -11/-10 and -11/-9 at the table in a race or with contact?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.