[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

General question about PR (mostly for Iancho I guess)

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Wednesday, 2 November 2011, at 6:20 p.m.

Iancho Hristov has been maintaining a list of PR's for various backgammon players. The last time he posted his list here was in December 2010; see this post. That post links to a Google Doc, so I think the numbers you see there are more recent than December 2010; perhaps Iancho can confirm this (I hope he's still reading BGOnline since I haven't seen him post for some months).

What I'm curious about are the medians and quartiles. That is, instead of just one column for PR, I'd be interested in seeing three columns LQ, M, and UQ, where by definition

the player plays LQ or better in 25% of his matches,

the player plays M or better in 50% of his matches,

the player plays UQ or better in 75% of his matches.

This would give some sense for how much a player's PR varies from one match to the next.

I think these statistics would be helpful for the BG community because it would give us a more nuanced understanding of PR. Currently, two players who both play (say) 5.0 on average are not distinguishable even if one of the players is much more consistent than the other.

How much trouble would it be to compute LQ, M, and UQ? Perhaps this could also be a feature that could be added to the bots?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.