[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

The ethics of the OLM

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Saturday, 19 November 2011, at 8:49 p.m.

This is actually a continuation of a discussion whose most recent post is this one by Chuck Bower, but I'm starting a new thread because the old one is buried deep in a thread that is entitled "rec.games.backgammon".

The question under discussion is whether there is something wrong with reading other people's votes and explanations before posting your own vote, and not bothering to mention that you did so.

I'd like to distinguish between two sense of "wrong." The first sense is what I'll call the ethical sense. According to Chuck, reading other people's votes and explanations before providing your own two cents, but not mentioning that you did, is a form of dishonesty.

The second sense is what I'll call the practical sense. Chuck (as well as others, as I recall) has argued that voting blindly "is more valuable to all concerned." That is, it enhances everyone's enjoyment and learning.

As far as the ethical sense is concerned, I don't agree with Chuck at all, and I made my case in this post. While I do agree that there is something mildly dishonest about checking a bot while giving the impression, or allowing others to assume, that you haven't, reading other posts on the OLM doesn't strike me as being in the same category at all. I have no plans to change my own behavior in this regard.

As for the practical sense, I can see arguments for both sides. I actually find it more valuable and interesting to see people reacting to each other's comments, and to see who has the cojones to vote for a play that nobody else likes. But I can see why other people might have different tastes. De gustibus non est disputandum.

I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say. And I won't hold it against you if you read the earlier posts on this subject before giving your two cents.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.