[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Higher-number-first corollary

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Monday, 28 November 2011, at 9:12 p.m.

In Response To: Nactation questions — Correction (Taper_Mike)

Thanks, Mike, for your terrific job of answering Nactation questions! (I believe your only error in the last week was oversight of D = 14/9, and you quickly self-corrected it.)

Though it rarely matters, one detail that I'm not sure I ever mentioned at bgonline is that to determine the correct family, the higher of two numbers is played first when there is a legal alternative order reaching the identical position. When I finally return home in a couple of days and have a diagram-making tool, I'll follow up with an illustrated post, but I'm going to mention it now for the sake of Nactation programmers Mike and Matt. Examples are:

31P-63R-66B-61 played 15/8; The 6 is played first, so that portion by portion the move is 15/9/8 (therefore D), not 15/14/8 (Z).

31P-32S-33B-54 played 11/2: The 5 is played first, so the move is 11/6/2 (therefore A), not 11/7/2 (in the O family).

The purpose of this higher-number-first corollary is to maintain more capital letters (put more precisely: to avoid pushing family members down in the hierarchy due to plays being in two different area-families).

If playing the lower number first merely produces the same letter/family (which it nearly always does) or a non-identical position, the corollary is irrelevant or inapplicable. Finally, the corollary cannot occur with doublets (there is no higher number, obviously), so there is no strain on the complexity of four-portion moves.

Nack

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.