[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

54D-62H-31$-33A-21E-41P-22

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Monday, 9 January 2012, at 9:31 a.m.

In Response To: 54D-62H-31$-33A-21E-41P-22 (Christian Munk-Christensen)

I am wondering how you came up with the names for the different plays.

How did "Gremlin split" come about?

Good question.

Definitions of letters were invented as the need arose. Of the multi-areal doublet families (where move portions occur in more than two areas of the board), M, for Mayfair split, came first. It is illustrated as position #29 here.

"Mayfair split" plays in three areas of the board and is three syllables. I had not assigned meanings to G or Y yet, so I created two other three-area definitions for them, and thought up three-syllable names for them, with "split" as the third syllable. Admittedly without much thought, I came up with Gremlin split and Yoga Split.

If you are sit at the corner of the board where your outer board is, the two checkers played near you represent the eyes of the gremlin, the portion on the far side is one ear, and the portion in the inner board is the other ear. It's just a silly way to remember where the checkers are played in a Gremlin split.

Nack

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.