[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Classic Boards

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Tuesday, 17 January 2012, at 1:31 p.m.

I have a great appreciation for some of the fine old boards -- particularly Aries boards. I'm fortunate to own a green/gold one, in very good condition, that I bought new in ~1977.

Sunday I visited an old acquaintance and played a bit of backgammon. He had acquired, and done the necessary minor reconditioning, two Aries boards and had listed them on E-bay (trying to sell either and keep the other) -- one brown and the other green/gold. To borrow the parlance of other collectibles -- these boards were 'gem mint'. I don't know when they were made precisely (I don't think an Aries board has been mades in decades) but they appeared as if they were just taken from the original factory cases after having been stored in a time capsule for thirty years.

They were brought to my attention by one of our readers here on the forum (and backgammon playing friend, Steve Schreiber). He knew they were in Houston and I volunteered to go look at them if he good get the seller's name. I assumed I likely knew whoever had them, and that was the case. He lived within five miles. Anyway, it worked out well for all -- and I also got to play some backgammon while renewing an old acquaintance. Nice to see some of the old boards so beautifully preserved and maintained -- they will last forever.

Hopefully, Steve will show off his new board at the next tournament he attends.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.