[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Let me clear my throat - WSOP '07 Winner

Posted By: Stick
Date: Tuesday, 2 October 2007, at 7:13 a.m.

If you don't want to hear me bash a good human being, religion, and I'm sure some other insensitive things then stop reading now. I just got around to catching up on all that is poker since I've been on the run lately. I grabbed many poker mags while I was in Vegas earlier in September and am catching up on the world series of poker, interviews, etc...

The winner of the main event? Jerry Yang. There's an interview in Bluff with him discussing his victory, I will chop up the parts I wish to scream about and then all of you can yell at me about the insenstive prick I am, should be good times :)

He wins 8.2 million dollars and donates 10% to charity. Make a Wish Foundation, Feed the Children, and the Ronald McDonald House. This may sound noble but this always makes me cringe. Blindly giving money to charities, esp. this much money, is a waste to me. I don't believe for a fraction of a second that the people in need see a major percentage of what is given. I blindly believe (meaning I've done zero research) that this money is filtered through many greedy & grimey hands and what lands where it is truly needed is insignificant compared to the origanal amount.

If you really want to help out ppl in need help out ppl in need. Take the money and do something with it yourself. I know...sounds like a little bit of work, but if you're wanting to help do the work, get semi involved or informed, don't simply pick 3 charities and ship it off.

I should mention that I have never seen Yang play, I have yet to watch any of the wsop coverage on tv, and yet while reading the article I quickly thought of him as a fucktard. I'm sorry there's no other term that comes to mind, first he was an idiot, then promoted to douche in my mind, then super douche, and finally fucktard.

He grew up in Laos, a very rough upbringing. He had no food, no money, no modern technology. He was one of those kids you see w/the pot bellies on tv that you know has worms. In the 70s the communists invaded his country and his family was caught, tried to escape, caught, and said if they tried again they'd be killed. They had AK 47s shoved in their faces and feared for their lives. They then got out & spent four fairly miserable years in refugee camps ...

I only list all that because later in the interview he says "But to win the whole thing, wow, that is truly a blessing. I give all the credit and glory to God. I think I owe that to him."

What? Is it just me? Seriousfuckinly? You're bowing down to the same god that brought you up in a living hell? Seems to me that ppl who have it that bad and somewhere along the lines something turns around it's "Oh thank God!" He also "Thanked God" a couple times for someone folding. Sometimes it is an expression, I don't believe so with this guy. I believe he really thinks it's thanks to god that he got whoever to fold.

To top it all off I think Yang is a terrible example for anyone lobbying poker is anything but a game of luck and I expect him to lose large in the future if he actually plays as he said he would. [again, I have seen ZERO of his play, a guess based on things like "Did your master's degree in Health Psychology help you in winning the world series?" Survey says "Absolutely".]

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.