[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Making the 'Hero Play'

Posted By: BenF
Date: Tuesday, 13 March 2012, at 7:44 p.m.

I was really hoping somebody would respond to my response to "who's holding whom" calling me a fish by now. When I figured out how many shot leaving sequences there were I was right that there are more shots this roll, but there were other factors like contact that were obviously way more important then shots next roll. It certainly seemed counter productive to clear a point but I just went for the 'hero play', although this might not be the best example of a hero play, maybe this little blunde I made in Chicago was? (analysis at bottom of page)

White is Player 2

score: 0
pip: 98
1 point match
pip: 69
score: 0

Blue is Player 1
XGID=-CDaBCB----a-----b-cbd-Ab-:0:0:1:42:0:0:0:1:10
Blue to play 42

eXtreme Gammon Version: 2.02

For those of you that do not know what I mean by 'hero play' I am using the term like it would be used in poker; i.e. If you call a guy on the river with ace high or a low pair, thinking there is a decent chance he is triple barrel bluffing or just missed his draw, that is a 'hero call'.

On that note, a few questions for people;

How often do you like to make the 'hero play'? If you were a 6 on a 1-10 of your confidence of two plays do you make the play you are more comfortable with? Do you make the 'hero play' that maybe seemed counter intuitive/productive at first? Maybe you make the play that makes your opponents sphincter tighten? Or do you just not make a play until you can rate one higher then the other in terms of confidence?

I ask these things because I think the thing holding me back from being an open player right now is my decision making process otb. I am too much of a feel player, and not analytical enough. When I take the time to analyze a position that is posted on the forums I can be, but even then I will first find my gut play, then try to reason in/out it and any other plays I 'feel' are in the top plays. That all being said I do not think being purely analytical about the game is the way to win, so my goal isn't to be another bot player, but to meld the two play styles into one.

1.XG Roller++6/4 6/2eq: -0.314
Player:
Opponent:
34.30% (G:4.22% B:0.03%)
65.70% (G:3.09% B:0.08%)
2.XG Roller++6/2 5/3* eq: -0.454 (-0.140)
Player:
Opponent:
27.31% (G:3.93% B:0.03%)
72.69% (G:24.81% B:1.11%)

eXtreme Gammon Version: 2.02, MET: Kazaross XG2

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.