[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Nactation — F alone is the best symbol for fanning.

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Monday, 26 March 2012, at 9:40 a.m.

Something just clicked for me as I was reading Nack’s recent post. It has to do with the symbol used for fanning in a Nactation string.

Heretofore, I have always included the dice roll. So, for instance, I might have nactated the early stages of a blitz as 21S-55K-31^-32.

2O ' ' ' '5X '3X ' '1X5O

2O1X2O ' '3O '1O ' ' '4X
21S-55K-31^-32
Position ID: 4HPkAUgzTvABMA Match ID: cAkNAAAAAAAA

Being the donkey that I am, of course, I might have to roll this out to know whether 32P = 13/8 is better than 32d = 13/11 13/10 or 32S = 24/21 13/11. Suppose I do, and then save the result on my hard drive using the file name derived from the Nactation string. With eXtreme Gammon, the file would be named 21S-55K-31^-32.xg.

Now, because I am such a cautious donkey, I might decide to email a friend. “Hey, do you have a rollout for 21S-55K-31^-32?” I want to know if her rollout got the same result that mine did.

Do you see the nub? My friend may have rolled out the exact same position, but recorded a different dice roll for the dance. She might report back that she can’t help me, because amid hundreds, or even thousands of rollouts, she did not notice that my 21S-55K-31^-32 was the same as her 21S-55K-66^-32!

So, there is a definite disadvantage in recording the dice roll in dance. Fortunately, the remedy is easy. In the file name at least, and in any database where you may need to search, record the Nactation string without giving the dice roll. The upper case letter F stands for “fan.” I can nactate my blitz position as 21S-55K-F-32.

And if I can just get my friends to do the same thing, then we’ll all be able to find our rollouts.

Which is what I’m doing in this post.

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.