[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

I Screwed Up The Checkers En Route To Winning Gammon

Posted By: Paul Weaver
Date: Friday, 30 March 2012, at 9:23 p.m.

Last year I had a discussion with SMP (successful money player) about when it is right and wrong to attempt a blitz by hitting loose on the deep inner points. I commented that I remember many occasions when I had been the victim of the following four-part parley: (1) A relatively weak opponent hit me loose on a deep point when it was wrong, (2) I fanned, (3), He then made a rediculously early double which I took and (4) I got closed out and lost a gammon.

SMP responded by telling me that had never happened to him. I understood that he was being facetious. Undoubtedly, SMP has been on the receiving end of this four-part parley litterally hundreds, if not thousands of times.

Most of us have heard the whining line, "He played the position so poorly and and I fanned forever and lost a gammon." Have many of you have ever heard someone say the flip side, "I screwed up the checkers in a major way but got lucky and won a gammon?"

In a match last night, I screwed up the checkers four times en route to winning a gammon. I have to admit that I get a perverse sense of satisfaction out of knowing that I played so poorly and got lucky. Get just one of these four positions right and you play better than I do. Although I won a gammon to go up 8-3 Crawford, I still lost the match.

I have rolled these out and plan to post the results in roughly 24 hours.

Position 1.

White is shimohei

score: 3
pip: 125
9 point match
pip: 124
score: 4

Blue is peever
XGID=-BAb-BBABA---B--Abceba--A-:1:-1:1:62:4:3:0:9:10
Blue to play 62

eXtreme Gammon Version: 2.03

Position 2.

White is shimohei

pip: 133
9 point match
pip: 124

Blue is peever
XGID=-BaaaBCCB----A---bbcbbB-a-:1:-1:1:33:4:3:0:9:10
Blue to play 33

Position 3.

White is shimohei

pip: 140
9 point match
pip: 107

Blue is peever
XGID=bBaBBBBAA-A------bbcbbB-a-:1:-1:1:41:4:3:0:9:10
Blue to play 41

Position 4.

White is shimohei

pip: 136
9 point match
pip: 35

Blue is peever
XGID=bBDCD-a----------bbcbb--a-:1:-1:1:62:4:3:0:9:10
Blue to play 62

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.