[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Finished with Poker

Posted By: Stanley E. Richards
Date: Friday, 12 October 2007, at 8:17 p.m.

On April 29, 2007, I asked this forum to assist me in my entrance to online Poker. I received excellent advice from Stick, Matt, and axel. I read and reread six books on the subject, purchased PokerAcademy, PokerAce, and PokerTracker. I truly committed time and energy to try to become a good, winning player.

Early results were disastrous. I recognized that one of my reference books was flawed. I eventually read the two best books on full limit Texas Hold em (Winning in Tough Hold em Games and Internet Texas Hold em). My results improved dramatically. After reading these great books and playing another 5,000 hands, I had reached an even money win rate. In my last 1000 hands, I was starting to obtain the 1 BB/100 hand winning rate. Now, I know that many more hands are necessary to determine whether I am a poker winner or loser. But, I will never find out.

Poker is simply not as much fun to me as backgammon. It’s fun. It’s simpler. It still requires great skill. But, sitting around to play about 20% to 25% of the hands was becoming a bit tedious. Also, as I began to understand the economics of poker, I recognized that it would be impossible to win at this game unless one was willing to establish a sizeable bankroll towards poker. The variations of poker are also maddening. A certain personality is required to tolerate the wild runs of good and bad luck in poker. You can play poker very well and lose seven straight days or more. This does not happen in backgammon. The variations are simply not that great in backgammon.

I lost $200 over a few months at the poker table. I earn that money much quicker at the backgammon tables with virtually no bankroll requirements. Please understand that I am not saying that poker is a bad game. It is a great, exciting game. However, my skills and personality are more suited to backgammon. Perhaps, the most important reason why I closed my FullTilt account was that Play65 again started accepting my business. For a few months, Play65 did not accept customers from my home state of Illinois. Now that I can play at Play65 and BGroom, I just do not have the desire to spend time with poker. In time, I could have become a fine poker player. I was making great progress. However, I’m much better at backgammon, love the game with all my heart, and actually can win some money with backgammon.

Stanley

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.