[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

The next major revolution in backgammon bots

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Thursday, 10 May 2012, at 7:23 p.m.

In Response To: The next major revolution in backgammon bots (Timothy Chow)

Overall, I am sure you are right, that a teaching bot is not eminent, but I believe we are close to having a good start. For example, XG has an opening book of rolled out plays. How hard would it be to put in the discussion panel an expert's statement as to why you slot with the 2-1 as opposed to slotting with the 4-1 or 5-1 on the opening move at NMS? And the same can be done for all second roll moves, then third. Beyond that, I think we are many years away, but for those three, I think it's just a matter of time.

Now, we already have a program called Opening Ceremony that takes all the first three moves and shows them rolled out, and shows the first and second at all four match scores. Yes, it's a wonderful program that I helped Murat develop (you can buy it for $25 at bgopeningceremony.com). I believe that in a few months we can do this. What would such a program be worth? Probably a lot, but the market is too small for the effort is my guess.

And THAT answers a lot of these questions. If backgammon had a market as big as poker, we would already have more advanced bots.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.