[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

For the rollateers: Stick, Nack, David, Neil, Ken, Dmitriy and others.

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Tuesday, 15 May 2012, at 6:47 a.m.

–

I have two questions that pertain to the folders and file names used by you to store rollout files on disk.
  1. Do you systematically add the “-m” suffix to the file names of money rollouts? It seems that file names sort better when they have the suffix.
  2. Do you store money rollouts in the same folder as at-score rollouts? If not, then there is no motive to add the “-m” suffix.
For those who are not sure what or why I am asking, you can read the following explanation. Otherwise, feel free to skip it!

Any help you can give is appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

Most of us omit the “-m” suffix in the nacbracs of a money rollout. Here are a few examples from my recent post Opening 43 — Index to Rollouts. The rollouts in this first group are all for money.

43 [D Z6 S16 U21] /46*31 BgOnline.org
43 [D Z3 S10 U25] /46 David Rockwell
43 [D S3 Z5 U6 $90] ~46***5 Nack Ballard
43 [D Z6] '<46 Stick
43 [D Z6 S10 U14 $82] '<62***5 Ken Bame
43 [D Z5 S12 U27] '^46*23 10 Neil Kazaross
43 [D Z1] "+103 Dmitriy Obukhov

The informal convention used by many rollateers is to tag the rollout file on disk with a suffix giving their initials. The resulting files can then be stored together in the same folder. For the money rollouts above, we might, in alphabetical order, have:

BgOnline.org 43-bo.sgf
Dmitriy Obukhov 43-do.xgp
David Rockwell 43-dr.sgf
Ken Bame 43-kb.xgp
Nack Ballard 43-nb.swe
Neil Kazaross 43-nk.xgp
Stick 43-st.xgp

For at-score rollouts, suffixes such as “-d” “-g” “-s” and “-n” can be inserted before the initials of the rollateer. This last one, “-n”, means “no Jacoby Rule.” Here are a few more examples from my Index to Rollouts:

Dmitriy Obukhov 43-d-do.xgp
Neil Kazaross 43-d-nk.xgp
David Rockwell 43-g-dr.sgf
Arthur van Houdt 43-n-av.xgp
Dmitriy Obukhov 43-n-do.xgp
David Rockwell 43-s-dr.sgf
Neil Kazaross 43-s-nk.xgp

So far, so good. Notice how all the DMP rollouts are listed together when a folder’s contents are sorted alphabetically. Similarly, all the GG rollouts are grouped together, as are those for GS and No-Jacoby, respectively.

But look at the mess when you drop the money rollouts into the same folder as the at-score rollouts. The money rollouts are no longer displayed as a group. They are interspersed throughout the listing. I am using green to highlight the names of money rollouts.

BgOnline.org 43-bo.sgf
Dmitriy Obukhov 43-do.xgp
David Rockwell 43-dr.sgf
Ken Bame 43-kb.xgp
Nack Ballard 43-nb.swe
Neil Kazaross 43-nk.xgp
Stick 43-st.xgp

If you view this as a problem, then one obvious solution is to always include the “-m” suffix in the file name of a money rollout. The resulting names then play nice with the at-score files:

BgOnline.org 43-m-bo.sgf
Dmitriy Obukhov 43-m-do.xgp
David Rockwell 43-m-dr.sgf
Ken Bame 43-m-kb.xgp
Nack Ballard 43-m-nb.swe
Neil Kazaross 43-m-nk.xgp
Stick 43-m-st.xgp

A second, equally effective, solution is to store money rollouts in a different folder from at-score rollouts.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.