[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

The next major revolution in backgammon bots

Posted By: mamabear
Date: Tuesday, 22 May 2012, at 7:21 p.m.

In Response To: The next major revolution in backgammon bots (higonefive)

I'm not the best person to ask about freak waves or astrophysics, and certainly not about credit default swaps! Do you seriously think I'm the one person in the entire world that actually understands them?

My degree was/is in Chem. E. with a minor in music. My view about BG is that though the foundation of backgammon is mathematical, and perhaps some day a computer program will reduce it all to a set of equations, they will be useless to humans in practical play. Our brains function differently from computers, which is why the "higher level languages" are needed in programming--and so are machine languages that use easily remembered terms we can say and spell, rather than just strings of 1s and 0s. So too, humans will still think in terms of structures and principles rather than equations with constants and variables, even if some computer figures out a way to do the latter that is accurate, precise, and universally applicable within the game.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.