[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Proposal for new variant, fleshed out some more

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Friday, 25 May 2012, at 1:49 a.m.

This continues a discussion that started in another thread but I think it's helpful to start a new thread where I lay out in detail my suggestion for a new way to play a match to n points.

1. Players roll dice to determine who is Player 1 and who is Player 2.

2. Player 1 arranges the 30 checkers on the board in any manner. [It may turn out that some restrictions are needed her, but for now, let me allow any arrangement, with the only restriction that there needs to be at least one White checker and at least one Black checker on the board somewhere.]

3. Player 2 chooses a color (White or Black).

4. The players play out the given position as the starting position, i.e., the cube is centered and the players as usual roll one die each to determine who goes first and what the first roll should be.

5. Once the game is concluded, Player 2 then arranges the 30 checkers on the board in any manner, Player 1 picks a color, and the next game of the match is played.

6. Play continues until one player achieves at least n points. Crawford rule applies.

The idea of this variant is to allow exploration of backgammon positions that rarely (or never!) arise the way the game is currently played.

One objection to my acceptance of arbitrary positions is that a player could choose totally lopsided positions, and/or non-contact positions with little or no skill involved. If you have a lead in the match, for example, you certainly have an incentive to choose a position with no gammons. However, I don't think that this is necessarily a deal-breaker for my variant, because the players get to alternate choosing the position to be played. Also, if you think you're the stronger player, then by choosing a non-skill position, you're essentially forfeiting your skill advantage.

A more serious potential objection is that maybe either Player 1 or Player 2 turns out to have a huge advantage, because of the lack of symmetry in their roles. In particular, maybe the privilege of being the first to pick a position is a huge advantage?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.