[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Chicago Tournament Review

Posted By: Jason Lee
Date: Monday, 28 May 2012, at 10:11 p.m.

I am sitting in the back of the tournament room in Chicago, waiting for the next airport shuttle to depart. Another tournament come and gone.

Rory Pascar did a great job of running this tournament, and getting a big crowd together. Clocks in the open, doubles, masters, the way it should be -- with the exception of a handful of side events, I played all of my matches with clocks.

For $50, Rory feeds you all weekend, very much worth it.

I played doubles with Chuck Bower, and we lost in the second round. With Chuck playing, I hand recorded our matches. We played OK, I'm not too upset with our performance.

After a great 3-0 start in the "More Swiss" event, I fizzled out and ended up 4-4.

In a heroic effort, I hand recorded all eight matches. Along with the two doubles matches, and one additional match, I ended up with eleven matches to analyze.

The lowlight of the tournament: winning a match on time against Larry Liebster, in spite of the organizers granting additional delay time (15 sec. instead of 12) to both players. I have really mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I feel as though maybe I've somewhat taken advantage of Larry -- on the other hand, Larry managed to play three or four games with just 30 seconds on his clock, proving that he is certainly able to do so.

After getting eliminated, I did spend an enjoyable evening going over the doubles matches with Chuck Bower -- you've seen the positions we posted. I promise you that there are plenty of other errors we could have posted!

More and more, I find these tournaments enjoyable because of the people, and the competition is secondary.

Congratulations to the winners, but the real winner is the whole backgammon community because of the selfless, tireless work of people like Rory and his staff.

JLee

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.