[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Faster Master -- If I build it, will you come?

Posted By: TarHeelFan
Date: Sunday, 17 June 2012, at 11:23 p.m.

Here is the gist of what I want to do:

The idea is to show that a “Faster Master” can be run in a single day. This would NOT be an ABT event, and there would NOT be events catering to the typical ABT Advanced/Intermediate player. (Though I would likely run it simultaneously with an “Amateur Championship” with nominal or free entry and just trophy – no prize money. Just to show that can work too!)

Friday

• Early bird tourneys (probably $100 and $20) with 90% payout

Saturday (Faster Master)

• $500 entry (90%), $200 Side Pool (100%), 11 point matches
  • Clocked, with reduced time controls (TBD, but possibly 10/10)
  • Limited to 32 players
  • Not strictly a “Masters”, as I would run a progressive consolation. But the idea would be to finish the main in one day.
  • Consolation would be 9pt matches, likely with same time controls as main.
  • Payouts:1st – 50%; 2nd – 25%; 1C – 25%
  • Hedging agreements provided by and paid out by director

Sunday (Jackpot)

• $200 entry (90%), $100 side (100%)
  • Same format as Saturday, but with shorter matches (9/7) and shorter time controls (maybe 10/8??)

Tournament would likely run in September of this year, in Charlotte, NC. Would be held at nice hotel (Sheraton, Hilton, etc), with ballroom space and free airport shuttle. No hospitality, but hotel would likely set up sandwich concessions outside room, and keep restaurant open. No planned side events, but jackpots if interest is there. Lots of opportunities for chouette/side games.

So, why not just do an ABT? Because those take a lot of time and effort and staff. Robin and I can run this one by ourselves without a lot of prep time. We don’t have the hassle of registration, Calcutta and 20 side events. It’s really just a proof-of-concept for the Faster Master.

So, is there interest for a weekend like this? Would you come?

• Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
    Your E-Mail Address:
    Subject:
    If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.