[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Natural Selection

Posted By: rambiz
Date: Thursday, 28 June 2012, at 12:17 a.m.

Hi all.
I have been thinking about the issue regarding the giants list last two weeks and have finally put my laziness aside, because I think the time has come to dispose my thoughts to your critics. Hopefully the idea will encounter some positive resonance, since I personally am neither able to, nor in position to realize it.
I believe that the best backgammon players among us, know better about their own and other's abilities. Putting aside the argument running here the last days , I think it is very much desirable for promoting the game, if player ranked n > m , could challenge player ranked m. Actually I believe, the lower rated player should have the right to challenge a higher ranked player. The higher ranked player in return gets action from a field of allegedly weaker (or stronger) players and he can determine if he wants to, say, play a best of 3, 11-pointers or a freeze-out money session. He can also demand a minimum wager of X (to be determined by an elected Committee for example representatives of active national federations) and cannot refuse to play that predetermined minimum wager, unless he is willing to just dodge the bullet and SWAP his rank with the challenger. So say Rambiz(not on the preliminary ranking list) challenges Falafel. Falafel should be happy to take the action. Even if he loses, he will thereafter have the right to challenge the new #1 or any other fish ahead of him in the ranking. This system will lead to an enormous amount of action and the ranking list will very soon (it will for sure not take 2 years) come to an equilibrium, since any player will have to put money where his mouth is and will soon just let the challengers pass through without any fight, having eventually and finally realized that he is not the favorite. This being the basic idea, here is my concrete proposal:
1. Take the ranking list as it is right now. Lets call it the field.
2. The field elects a trustworthy committee, which will take care of the followings:
3. Determine the minimum wager a challenged player can demand. For example players ranked 1-10, 5000$, players ranked 11-20, 4000$, etc.
4. Register the challengers and collect the money in advance on a first-come, first-served basis.
5. Contact the challenged player if he is willing to play. If not swap rankings immediately, regardless of any personal issues, not-paid debts, etc. If he is willing to play collect cash from him and convey his conditions to the challenger, e.g. 1.venue and 2. match play or freeze-out money session. (I think the challenged player can insist on live play)

OK, it is my rough draft for this system and I know there are a lot of things to be modified and improved, but let me first await your kind constructive responses. The burdon will, after all, lie on people other than me and I just thought I want to contribute my idea to the benefit of the game.
@Giants:Don't you all just love tasty fish?
@Fishies: Don't you just love a shot at glory?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.