[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Clocks, again

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Wednesday, 11 July 2012, at 3:47 p.m.

I sat in a small impromptu, informal group of four (Stick, Neil, Rory, and myself) Sunday in Novi and, among many topics, clocks were discussed.

Stick, Neil, and myself were very much pro-clock. Rory not quite so much. He contends with his Swiss format in Chicago, with a holiday weekend schedule, time is not so much an issue.

We agreed to disagree. However, we all did agree that backgammon is a much cleaner game when played on a clock -- single set of dice, no fast rolls, no disputed rolls, etc.

A suggestion was made -- and generally agreed upon -- that, perhaps, all Open/Championship and Advanced/Intermediate matches not subject to mandatory clock usage should still yet be played with a clock -- either with the clock turned off or the time not binding. Just the presence of the clock and the use of the plungers to signify the end of a turn would provide the unclocked matches the benefits otherwise afforded with a clock -- the aforementioned single set of dice, no fast rolls, no disputed rolls, etc. Additionally, such usage could begin to make those unfamiliar with clock usage, or opposed to clock usage, more comfortable with the presence, the concept, the act of hitting the clock to signify end of turn, and its advantages to the dynamics of the game.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.