[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Falafel is my hero

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Wednesday, 18 July 2012, at 1:02 p.m.

In recent years, like just about everyone else, I have gained more and more respect for Falafel's game. His PR, his results, his insights all prove that he is a great player. But he has also proven to be a great, positive force for backgammon, and that, as much as his skill, makes him the number 1 Giant.

When we began the USBGF, though he was not living in the US, he was one of our first strong supporters, and he has supported the organization and growth of the game throughout the world.

At tournaments, he volunteers his time and skill as a lecturer or and commentator, and whenever anyone asks him his thoughts about a position or play, he is generous with his time and knowledge.

Why am I writing this post now? I just heard that at Monte Carlo, in the first round of consolation, his opponent, Luc Palmans (Belgium) was confused about the starting time and came one hour late for his match with Falafel. There were extenuating circumstances as the match was set to start at 2, and the previous day matches started at 3. Falafel was awarded the win by forfeit, but after hearing the circumstances, he generously agreed to play the match and waive the forfeit.

I am a firm believer in upholding the rules of the game, and Luc absolutely should have been forfeited--it's his responsibility to know when matches start and it's not fair to hold up the tournament for everyone involved. But sometimes there are reasonable complications and some times the hold up is not significant and there are extenuating circumstances, and the concepts of fair play and good sportsmanship should take precedence over the strict interpretation of the rules.

Falafel has demonstrated this kind of good sportsmanship on many occasions. One of my students alerted me to this incident and asked me to help acknowledge Falafel for his actions.

By the way, I feel the same kind of respect for Mochy in all he has done to promote the game in a positive way, and he clearly deserves the No. 1 or 2 spot on the Giants list he has enjoyed the past few years as well. Is it any wonder that Neil is No. 3--look at all he has given to the game over the years in addition to his skills!

Not to take anything away from the rest of the Giants and many others who have given much to the game, I think the backgammon world has shown terrific judgment in it's selection of the top Giants for reasons in addition to just their playing skill.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.