[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Any ideas for bettering my study technique

Posted By: smcrtorchs
Date: Sunday, 19 August 2012, at 8:17 p.m.

As I am devoting enough hours to bg lately, I think it makes sense to ask here about the way I study.

What I decided to do is study the game backwards. In other words study first the many different ending stages of the game. Race, blitzes ending with a cube, 1 side having a checker back, anchor games etc. etc.) Start with the simplest variations of those types of games and move checkers around to see what difference they make and gradually keep getting them more and more complicated (this covers the recirculation of checkers by being hit as well).

I use a bot to rollout cube positions only and see if I can understand how each player wins as much as he should win in the game. If I am not sure how he wins or if my cube estimation is wrong then I will play the position I do not understand a few times to better my understanding. I only use cube positions as I believe that if I know how the winning percentage of a player comes out then this means I know how to play the game as well. I would know which are the key aspects of the game and therefore know how to move my checkers to reach that winning percentage.

After I understand the ending stages of bg then I believe I can go backwards to the middle stages and then even further the beginning. So far I am still at the ending stages so I cannot yet say if the way I chose is a good one. But it seems to me like this is much better than just study the areas of the game where I make the most mistakes.

Assuming I had infinite time and as I save this cube positions, this would enable me to map the game in a way. Of course I do not have infinite time, but I believe that if the process is long term enough it will yield the best results for the time I give. But I wanted to ask if someone believes he knows a better way to study the game before I proceed too much with what I am doing now.

Thanx for any replies.

Sorry if it is a long or boring post

Btw thanx all the people who make this a nice forum.

Btw2 Special thanks to casper van der tak as when I restarted studying backgammon a few months ago I did not know many resources on the net or out of it, but I found the gammonline quizzes. Your comments there really made my life so much easier in understanding those positions, without them i might have believed that I will never understand bg and give up. No disrespect to the comments of others there, just saying how things worked for me.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.