[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Introduction & ND vs. D/T win probabilities question

Posted By: Joshua Small
Date: Tuesday, 11 September 2012, at 12:14 a.m.

Introduction: I'm fairly new to this site, but it's great -- very lively. I have been interested in bg for a long time, but never studied it seriously (although I did read Backgammon Bootcamp a few years ago and I own XG2). I decided recently to play more, and I made it my goal to enter the NY Met Open in Jersey City this January.

One of my projects is to read Kit Woolsey's BG Encyclopedia and commit some of the positions to memory. I'll be re-rolling selected positions using XG2 and creating physical flashcards. [RO Settings: 3-ply, XGR cube, VR, no truncation, until error<0.003, max games 20736]

I have a couple of questions, though, before I get started:

1. XG2 provides win/gammon probabilities for ND and D/T. I don't want to clutter up the card with both of these -- which one would be the best to use? While the differences between the two are generally very small, I'd like to be consistent. My first instinct was to use the probabilities associated with the correct action for the position. However, I plan on also using the statistics to help determine the correct action at various match scores. Because the AtS action might be different from money, is it better to just be consistent, and simply always use the ND win/gammon probabilities?

2. As for the back of the flashcard, I plan on including:

*Correct action for money

*W/G/B % for both players

*equities for all cube actions (and differences with the correct action)

*any comments

*origin of the position

Is anything missing from this list? How about cubeless equity? I'd like to limit the amount of information to that which is useful in practice.

Thanks, and I appreciate any help.

Josh

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.