[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Peoria Clock Discussion

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Tuesday, 9 October 2012, at 5:32 p.m.

As most of you likely know, the Championship Division semi-final match at last weekend's Illinois State Backgammon Championships in Peoria between John Jennings and Victor Ashkenazi ended with each having but one second of reserve time remaining.

In fact, the penultimate game, with Victor leading 10-8/11 Crawford, began with John having 6 or 7 seconds left and Victor having 20 seconds left. After John won the Crawford game, the final game began with them having 3 seconds and 7 seconds of reserve time remaining, respectively.

Director Linda Rockwell offered them the option of playing the final game without the clock; however, one or both (I'm not sure) declined the offer and the match continued on the clock.

I can understand and appreciate why Linda made the offer but I don't think it was appropriate -- they started with the clock with an understanding of the associated rules, they should finish with the clock. What do others think? Certainly, I think Linda would not have made the offer if there were a significant disparity in the remaining clock times.

I discussed the end of the match at length with someone -- maybe it was Neil -- and we both thought it might be appropriate (were it technically possible) that the delay be changed to 18 seconds or so once a player reached a minute or two of reserve time remaining. We didn't discuss the specifics -- i.e., if one player reaches one minute remaining and his delay changes to 18 seconds, should the delay also change for the other player even though he may have ten minutes left? An interesting concept to explore. Thoughts?

Obviously, in my opinion, if any change of this type were made, a match should begin with both players understanding the specifics -- with no amendments allowed once play begins.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.