[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Social aspect during live matches

Posted By: Smcrtorchs
Date: Sunday, 14 October 2012, at 1:41 p.m.

I went to my first backgammon tournament yesterday after two or three years. It was my third in total. When I first arrived I felt a bit unconfortable. Most people were not young and this gave me a weird feeling. After a while luckily a few more people came. They were a bit younger, I remembered them and most importantly I knew that their hearts were still young.

I played with 3 opponents. One seemed too much into his thoughts, annoyed from my jokers and he seemed to be afraid to loose, thought I might be wrong. We barely exchanged a few words. Another opponent was not young but would joke, enjoy the match and show interest about what was happening. We were not playing only against our PR or against maximizing our winning chances. We were also sharing our common experience of the match. I certainly enjoyed this match the most. The third opponent was certainly enjoying the challenge of the game. I could understand this and I took the initiative and tried chatting with him a bit. He responded, not as the previous opponent, but in his own nice way. The mix of playing to maximize chances and social fun was different from the other cases, but still the experience was much more enjoyable than if we never shared anything about the match or other things.

We did not played with clocks, but still when I was looking around the tables most of them were silent and not lively. Some of them were more alive and certainly a lot of socializing would happen between the matches. But for me the matches were a perfect opportunity to blend social fun with the natural excitement of the match to create a good atmosphere. Even with clocks I can imagine that there are margins for social fun to arise, as not always things are that tight regarding time.

What happens at the international scheme with clocks and many times big money involved? Do people play 90% of their matches without sharing their experience with the other player and prefer to enjoy the social fun separately between their matches? Does social fun arise during matches in situations were time management is not crucial?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.