[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

my plan for improving, does it look good?

Posted By: Tenland
Date: Monday, 19 November 2012, at 4:06 p.m.

I am a new player. I have only played backgammon for about 6 months, but have read a few of the best books.

At this point, my PR is just over 7, playing unlimited games against XG. My goal is a PR of 5, playing unlimited games against XG, by October 2013.

I figure that the higher my PR, the faster it will decrease, so to reach 5 by October, I set another goal: PR below 6 by March 2013.

As of now, I can't afford a coach, and I expect to be able to put in something like 1-2 hours a day, on average.

I would be really grateful for any feedback on my plan (from now until March). Ok, here goes:

*learn all the reference positions in Backgammon encyclopedia (not exact numbers but at least correct cube action and take action) - my cube error rate is a bit higher than my checkerplay error rate, so far

*learn all the cube reference positions in Backgammon bootcamp

*construct some more reference positions on my own, eg. one checker back, two anchors where one is the barpoint, and an anchor+a blot

*learn all third rolls in opening ceremony (i already know the bot plays of the first two rolls for money)

*play five games per day, and go through each move by both me and the computer afterwards, trying to understand why the moves are best (or incorrect)

Should I be done with the first 4 bullets before March, my plan is to learn the cube positions in 501 essential bg problems (rolled out...) and to find difficult positions from my games and replay games over and over from there, in order to understand them better.

In order to play better live, i also plan on improving my pipcounting speed, learning naccel (it seems to be the best, right?). That won't make my PR lower playing against XG at home with infinite time, though.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.