[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Backgammon psychology

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Wednesday, 16 January 2013, at 2:08 a.m.

Money Game
Blue to play 32
White161

Blue137
GNUBg Id: ZtsAoDg2NpMBJA:QQkNAAAAAAAA
XGID=-cBBaaBB-B-A-B----bbbbAbA-:1:-1:1:32:0:0:0:0:10

Here I vacillated between 24/22 11/8 and 7/5* 7/4*, and finally played 7/5* 7/4*. After the fact, it became clear to me that 7/5* 7/4* was absolutely the right decision in a chouette, for psychological reasons. This would have been true even if I hadn't rolled 54 after White danced (as actually happened).

How much technical equity is it worth giving up for a psychological advantage like this?

I'm not going to roll this one out but if someone else wants to, please feel free.

By the way, the rest of the game was pretty interesting. White hit a shot as I was bearing off, and even managed to hit a second checker, but blundered in the containment process and closed out only one checker. Then it was my turn to hit a shot while White was bearing off. But I got hit on the way back around and was headed for a loss when a lucky doublet let me bear off my last 4 checkers.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.