[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Clocks from the Directors Perspective

Posted By: Troy Longman
Date: Wednesday, 16 January 2013, at 10:59 p.m.

In New York the question was poised to me. " Do you see a difference in the number of rulings you have to make in a clocked event ? "

Yes, I see less rulings in clock events. I believe for a couple of reasons; 1) Typically more experienced players are involved in clock events 2)When played with a clock properly there is only one set of dice used, this usually eliminates speed rolling, misread dice, and misplayed checkers(since experienced players are more likely to call out corrections if correcting the checker play will burn up more of his opponents time).

Down side of using clocks is someone always complains there isn't enough time on the clocks, Some people wanted 3 min per point and 20 second delay for doubles (In my opinion that is WAY too much time)> In New York we used 2.5 min per point and 15 second delay, I seen no one came close to running out of time.

Another problem we often have is people not using the clock properly; leaving it on pause, having it there as a prop to give the appearance of using it, resetting it for a time other than tournament out lined.

As a Director I like clock events, I seldom have to concern myself with the flow of clocked matches allowing me more opportunity to monitor matches that negatively affect my time management of a tournament.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.