[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Magriel's Advice About the 23 point

Posted By: Adam Torkelson
Date: Friday, 18 January 2013, at 1:35 a.m.

From a thread discussing Magriel’s advice on making the 23 point (opponent’s 2) (I wanted to bump this to the top so as to get maximal response):

Timothy Chow asks: “What does Magriel actually say about the 23pt? It's been a while since I've read that book and I don't own it.” and “what exactly does Magriel say, i.e., a verbatim quote? I'm surprised to hear that he says never to make the 23pt; does the context place any restrictions on "never," such as in the early phase of the game or something? I mean, if you're playing a backgame and desperately need a second anchor, and have the opportunity to make the 23pt, I can't imagine Magriel insisting that you should stay split.”

I think it’s obvious about the backgame (you couldn’t call a backgame otherwise).

No, Magriel’s advice clearly applies to the position in question--not only about making the 23 (opponent’s 2), but *also* about leaving a blot 6 points away to make your own five point! (but according to XG, this is terrible advice, and results in a blunder):

From the 2004 paperback edition of Magriel’s book, Backgammon (1976):

Page 84:

“Beginners often make their opponent’s two point . Although this gives you an anchor on which to re-enter, it is more difficult to escape from than the one point. Many games are lost by making the two point and never being able to leave it.

If your opponent has a point in your inner board, the single most effective blocking point is the one 6 pips in front of him. This is another reason why it is wrong to make your opponent’s two point. Since your opponent begins the game holding the eight point, you place yourself directly in front of the point that most effectively blocks you.”

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.