[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Learning from your blunders – how do you review and categorise them?

Posted By: DaveT
Date: Sunday, 20 January 2013, at 11:07 a.m.

One of things i am going to do is to go through my recent saved matches and collect together my worst blunders. They are sometimes quite horrendous and there are lots of them.

What I would like to do is see if there are certain patterns where I am throwing away masses of equity because quite frankly I don’t have a clue what is really going on in these type of situations.

This means I will probably need to categorise my blunders under different labels. Many people must have done this before and I would like to know if there are any tips for how best to label the blunders.

In 501 Essential Backgammon Problems Bill Robertie has around 30 Chapter Headings - would those chapter headings make sense to use as a foundation? A further problem is that some blunders will be blunders under any score - others might be blunders only under certain scores and accordingly how should these be best labelled?

Some blunders may fit under more than one category – if so presumably you should put them under all relevant categories.

With Doubling Cube blunders these will not lend themselves so naturally to descriptions such as “hit or not hit” . Is there a particularly good way to approach the labelling of doubling blunders other than the obvious categories of being too good to double – not doubling when you should – not taking when you should.

For those who have done this before could you give any tips for how best to undertake an exercise like this and try and systematically collect, label and review your worst mistakes?

I think I will need to operate with some labels in order that my head can make the connections with similar situations in the future. I have Extreme Gammon and would like to make more use of it so if anyone can share some thoughts that would be really welcome.

Also can anyone give any words of encouragement – does this sort of thing pay dividends and if so just how useful is it for improving your game?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.