[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Interesting ruling in San Antonio...

Posted By: Justin N.
Date: Friday, 8 February 2013, at 10:04 p.m.

I did not witness every aspect of this ruling myself, but spoke independently and at length to numerous individuals who were directly involved in one way or another to gain as accurate a picture of the situation as possible. If I've missed some important element, I hope someone will correct me.

In the Advanced Division, prior to starting the match, both players agreed that their match was to be played to 9-points, although neither actually confirmed it beforehand with the Director or the draw sheet where the official match length was visibly posted. The match was completed, both players shook hands, and both went up to the podium to report their result. At this point, Player A (the loser) notices that the draw sheet states the match length for that round was to be 7-points instead of nine. He also states that he was the first to reach 7-points (the actual score at that moment was 2a-4a), but that he never scored another point resulting in Player B being the winner of the 9-point match.

The Director made a ruling. The ruled-against player appealed, and the Director convened a ruling committee of three highly respected and experienced world class players to decide if the Director's ruling should be upheld or overturned. I think (but am not 100% sure) that the Director's ruling could only be overturned by a unanimous decision of the ruling committee, but that the Director's ruling was ultimately upheld since there was a split decision of the ruling committee.

If you were on the ruling committee, what would be your thought process and your ultimate vote as to who officially wins the match and advances? What sections from the U.S. Tournament Rules would you cite? If you disagree with the rule being applied, how would you propose to re-write it?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.