[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Late bear off races - amazing discovery

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Friday, 15 February 2013, at 1:24 a.m.

In Response To: Late bear off races - amazing discovery (Ray Kershaw)

When behind, it is often right to put your eggs in the same basket, i.e., making your good rolls better (so that you can win with them) and making your bad rolls worse (since you're going to lose with them anyway). This will tend to increase the variance of your rolls.

Increasing the variance tends to create more market losers for your opponent, who is then forced to double.

What I've just said is very general and so one might wonder why, following this logic, proper cube provocation plays aren't more common in contact positions. I think that part of the reason is that late races already have a lot of variance in them compared to contact positions. For example, large doublets are often immediately decisive in a late race, whereas in "normal" positions they may help a lot but not necessary clinch the game at once.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.